Italian Braised Shallots Recipe
- 600 g shallots, peeled
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 15 g butter
- 3 tbsp tomato puree diluted with 150 ml boiling water
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- half a tsp of sea salt flakes
- Add the peeled shallots to a pot of boiling water. Bring back up to the boil and leave them for 1 minute before you strain.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan until they’re sizzling and add the shallots. Stir until coated and cook until they are starting to brown.
- Add the diluted tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt. Stir to combine, turn the heat down to low and allow cook for an hour uncovered.
- Stir occasionally during this hour and add a little drop of water if the sauce is catching.
- After an hour stir again and serve immediately or allow to cool before serving.